Total Pageviews

Monday 24 January 2011

Real World - Natsuo Kirino

I seem to have bought an ex Kent library book – oh well! It has a nice plastic cover so it doesn’t get wet when I read in the bath. One of three of Kirino’s books translated into English that I’ve read. Out her previous best seller was gruesome to say the least so I thought I’d give this one a go.
`A matricidal murderer`-When a book begins with a murder – where else can it go?? Telling events through different characters eyes we learn of the journey of Worm and how he killed his mother – seriously this is not a spoiler as it is in the first few pages! Maybe this is a book where you can read the back pages as you already know what’s going to happen.
Yuzan’s chapter 2 is intriguing, with bits of the underworld that seem to crop up in Japanese novels. I always have a trouble with geography when reading Japanese books not being familiar with the distances – is that like a 5 min bike ride of 5 hours?? Because it might make a big difference. I tend to get a little map and doodle dots on it to try and get an idea! My geography sucks!
Terauchi’s thoughts that `There really are things that are irreparable` will ring true in many peoples ears and she is an intriguing private character. Following all of the four girls `dependable Toshi brainy Terauchi, Yuzan grief stricken and confused and Kirarin…reckless` we follow the progressing story. Despite the multiple perspectives the writing is smooth, seamlessly fitting together. Inner most thoughts of what motivates each character are exposed. The adolescent girls struggle to understand and piece together the elements of their personalities – some unsuccessfully with drastic consequences. If the events had happened in their twenties would the characters have handled it differently I wonder?
I don’t know why, but I warm to Yuzan in this book. The account of the intense sexual feelings between Worm and Kirarin from both sides is intriguing. All of the characters are strong in their own ways. I wonder what each of them will grow into after these experiences??
By the way people – you can’t read the last few pages like I thought to start with – you’d destroy the ending J Don’t think this book really caught me tbh…..

No comments:

Post a Comment